Do you live in one of them?
- Grocery costs can vary from place to place, and certain states are much more expensive than others.
- If you’re staying in one of them, you’ll need a bigger grocery budget.
- Try meal planning from grocery store sales flyers and use coupons to save money on grocery shopping.
Grocery is an essential purchase that you need to plan into your budget. But whether you charge your credit card for groceries or pay with cash, it’s important to keep track of your grocery expenses so you don’t end up spending too much of your net wages on food.
The amount you spend depends on many factors, including the type of groceries you buy. In addition, where you live also affects your food costs. If you live in one of these 10 cities, your costs will certainly be much higher.
This is where groceries cost the most in the United States
According to Move.org, these are the 10 cities where you’ll face the highest food prices:
New: Massive $300 Bonus Card Launches
More: These 0% introductory APR credit cards made our leaderboard
- Honolulu, Hawaii: $556.76
- Burlington, Vermont: $497.41
- Anchorage, Alaska: $483.24
- New York City, NY: $482.87
- Charleston, WV: $427.19
- Jackson, Mississippi: $423.33
- Charleston, SC: $411.29
- Boston, MA: $406.21
- Washington DC: $405.08
- Seattle, Washington: $402.08
These high prices are in stark contrast to cities where residents pay the lowest grocery prices in the United States. In Manchester, New Hampshire, for example, groceries average just $183 a month. That’s less than a third of what Honolulu residents pay.
The residents of these cities also pay prices that are well above the national average. In the US, the average monthly cost of groceries is $355.50, which is more than what Manchester residents pay but far less than the cost in Honolulu, Burlington, Anchorage, or other places on the most expensive list.
Here’s how to save on groceries, no matter where you live
While the costs are much higher in some places than others, everyone can benefit from certain strategies to keep their bills down – no matter where they live.
Some of the best ways to save on groceries at the grocery store are:
- Create a meal plan around sales flyers: Your grocery store will probably send out flyers every week letting you know what’s on sale (or you can usually access them online as well). As you create your meal plans for the week, try to include discounted items. For example, if ground beef is on sale, you might want to make a lasagna or tacos instead of a chicken dish.
- Get to know your store’s sales plan: Most stores have a specific cycle for when things go on sale. For example, a certain item can be discounted once every six weeks or once every eight weeks. Once you know this schedule, you can buy non-perishable items in bulk so you have enough before the next sale and never have to buy at full price.
- Use coupons: You can often find coupons online or clip them out of the Sunday paper.
Trying these techniques can be especially important if you live in a high-priced market. But since cutting your grocery budget always frees up money for other things, it’s worth using them no matter where you live so you can eat well without paying high prices.
Warning: The highest cashback card we’ve seen has an introductory APR of 0% now until almost 2024
Using the wrong credit or debit card can cost you a lot of money. Our expert loves this top pick, which offers an introductory APR of 0% until nearly 2024, an insane cashback rate of up to 5%, and all of that with sort of no annual fee.
In fact, this card is so good that our expert even uses it personally. Click here to read our full review for free and apply in just 2 minutes.
Read our free review