Insider experts pick the best products and services to help you make smart decisions with your money (here’s how). In some cases, we receive a commission from our partners, however, our opinions are our own. Terms apply to offers listed on this page.
- Through December 20, 2022, you can get a 40% bonus when transferring Chase points to Marriott.
- This improves the current 1:1 transfer rate to 5:7.
- Unless you have a specific high-value hotel redemption in mind, it’s still not a good idea to transfer Chase points to Marriott.
- Read the insider’s guide to the best Chase credit cards.
A healthy stash of Chase Ultimate Rewards points can save you thousands of dollars on travel. If you have at least one of the following cards you can transfer them to Air Canada Aeroplan, Hyatt, United Airlines and more valued airline and hotel partners:
Chase has some transfer partners that offer subpar value. Marriott is one of them.
But until December 20, 2022, you’ll get a 40% bonus when transferring Chase points to Marriott. That makes Marriott a significantly more reasonable destination for your Chase points. If you know the best ways to use Marriott points – it’s definitely worth taking advantage of.
Here’s what you need to know about this deal.
Insider Featured Rewards Credit Cards
Earn unlimited 3x points on restaurants, travel, gas stations, transportation, popular streaming services and phone plans. Earn 1x points on other purchases.
Limited time offer of 30,000 bonus points when you spend $1,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening (offer expires 01/10/2023)
Earn 3x ThankYou® points at restaurants and supermarkets. Earn 3x ThankYou Points at petrol stations, flights and hotels. Earn 1x Thank You ® Points on all other purchases
80,000 bonus ThankYou® points after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
Earn 5x points on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Earn 3x points on meals including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out. Earn 3x points on select streaming services. Earn 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and Wholesale Club). Earn 2x points on other travel. Earn 1x point per dollar on everything else.
60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
Here we focus on the rewards and perks that come with each card. These cards aren’t worth it if you’re paying interest or late fees. When using a credit card, it’s important to pay your balance in full each month, make payments on time, and only spend what you can afford.
40% bonus when transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards to Marriott
Per insider valuations, Chase points are worth 1.8 cents each — while Marriott points are worth just 0.7 cents. In other words, transferring Chase points to Marriott is always a bad idea.
With this 40% transfer bonus, you get 1.4 Marriott points for every Chase point you transfer. That narrows the value disparity somewhat, effectively giving you 0.98 cents in Marriott points for every 1.8 cents in Chase points you transfer.
In almost all cases, you still need to clear the transfer of Chase points to Marriott. After all, you can redeem Chase points through the Chase travel portal for between 1.25 and 1.5 cents (depending on which Ultimate Rewards-earning card you have).
For example, the Columbus Airport Marriott charges 21,000 points for the night of September 3, 2023. With this 40% transfer bonus, you can convert 15,000 Chase points into Marriott points to book this room for free.
The same night will cost $131 in cash through the Chase travel portal. If you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card, you can book this room for just 10,452 Chase points. That’s a savings of over 4,500 points over a transfer to Marriott.
It does not say that there are No Situations where transferring points to Marriott is a bad idea. If you have a specific release in mind know You get good value for your points, which can be useful. For example, I recently booked a Marriott stay that earned me 5.9 cents per point. I don’t currently have all the points I need for my stay – and if I don’t get them within 14 days of my stay, my reservation will be cancelled. Because of this, I haven’t completely ruled out transferring Chase points to Marriott — after all, I’m getting a value of 8.26 cents per point.
How to earn Chase Ultimate Rewards
You can earn Chase points fast by opening any of the best Chase credit cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® — 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card — 100,000 points after spending $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
And if you’ve got one of the cards above, you can convert the rewards you earn with the credit cards into Marriott points without the following annual fees:
- Chase Freedom Flex℠—$200 after spending $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
- Chase Freedom Unlimited ® – 1.5% cash back ($300 cash back value) with regular earnings on everything you buy up to $20,000 spent in the first year
- Inc. Business Cash ® Credit Card— $900 bonus cash back (highest ever) after you make $6,000 in purchases in the first three months of account opening
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card— $900 bonus cash back (highest ever) after you make $6,000 in purchases in the first three months of account opening
Note that you should do If you want to transfer your points to Marriott (or any Chase partner) hold a Chase Ultimate Rewards card that has an annual fee. Check out our post on the Chase 5/24 rule to make sure you qualify for the Chase Ultimate Rewards card before you apply.
The bottom line
Chase has announced a new promotion offering 40% bonus Marriott points when transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards. Still, converting Chase points to Marriott points is far from a no-brainer.
If you think you’ll get at least 1.8 cents per Chase point by transferring to Marriott, it’s a good deal. In most other cases, we recommend giving this offer a pass.